Key Figures Edit
- Queen Elizabeth II, monarch who celebrated Silver Jubilee in 1977.
- Margaret Thatcher, Conservative Prime Minister from May 4th.
- Michael Foot, Leader of the Labour Party.
Key Events in Britain, 1981 Edit
- Michael Foot, David Steel and Margaret Thatcher resign.
- Robert Grosvenor becomes Prime Minister.
- Richard Chapman becomes Leader of the Labour Party.
- Adam Croft becomes Leader of the Liberal Party.
- The SDP is formed under the leadership of David Pressman.
- Rupert Murdoch buys The Times and The Sunday Times.
- Nine die in New Cross house fire. The Government's failure to make a statement draws criticism.
- Bernadette McAliskey is shot at her home in Ireland.
- Ronald Reagan becomes President of the United States.
- The Government launches a controversial Salmonella Awareness Campaign fronted by TV chef Fanny Cradock.
- Józef Pinkowski resigns as Prime Minister of Poland.
- King Juan Carlos survives a coup attempt in Spain.
- The Prince of Wales and Lady Diana Spencer announce their engagement.
- Sir Roger Hollis is accused of being a Soviet spy.
- Homosexuality becomes legal in Scotland.
- The DHSS introduces new cleaning standards for hospitals.
- Sectarian attacks rage in Northern Ireland.